Sonntag, 7. August 2016

ONE SMALL ACT OF KINDNESS BY LUCY DILLON


"What can you do to make the world a better place?"

A young married couple loses almost everything and decides to start over with a small hotel in the countryside when a horrible accident glues their lives to that of a mysterious, injured woman.
"Her again", you might think. I've got to admit that I am quite fond of Lucy Dillon's novels.
(The next one arrived in today's mail already)
Although one can say that Lucy has a rather strong writing style and a distinct way to let her characters develop, I enjoyed this book nearly as much as A hundred pieces of me which I reviewed in last week's post. 
Based on my type of reads I grow older one book at a time. 
Just as with the last novel I read by Lucy, I just couldn't bring myself to stop reading while at the same time not wanting the book to end (which is a great sign). I love how her books just give me this cozy warm feeling that makes me want to stay in bed all day, which is great since it's rather cold and rainy over here lately. 
And even though I really enjoyed reading one small act of kindness I didn't like it quite as much as a hundred pieces of me
Therefore, I give this novel 4 out of 5 stars

To find out what exactly I liked and what could've been better, read on. But be aware that the following part might contain spoilers, so better read the book first and discuss with me in the comments! 


The first thing I have to mention is the character building in this novel. Just like in a hundred pieces of me, Lucy manages to bring the protagonists and their surroundings to life through extensive description and detail. During most of the book, the plot is amazingly paced. I really felt like I got to know the characters and their everyday life struggles. 

Just as is the first novel I read by her, this book is all about dogs. I love how they get to have their own characteristics and roles within the plot but in this novel, I sometimes thought it went a bit too far. Bob, the hotel dog, slightly got on my nerves. The ever repeating description of his looks and manners would have been enough mentioned once. 

Due to the character of Gethin, the novel was surprisingly gripping. I didn't expect a negative character like him and, therefore, was positively surprised. Sadly, I think that the conclusion of their relationship felt a little rushed. I mean, he turns out to be an utter psycho and kicks her dog who's apparently on the edge of dying but all she does is stand outside in the garden with her new/old lover and celebrates? This was one of the few moments in which I felt like the story got extremely unrealistic. Since the rest of the plot seems pretty plausible to me, I didn't like the ending writing wise. 

All in all, it's a very relaxing read and I'd recommend reading a hundred pieces of me first since there are quite a few links to this book and you might get spoilered reading one small act of kindness first. 

Have you read any Lucy Dillon novels so far? 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.